Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Story of My Experiments with Truth: Auto Biography of Mahatma Gandhi


One of my good friend suggested me to read the following book.

The Story of My Experiments with Truth: Auto Biography of Mahatma Gandhi

I have had the chance to read this book in original Gujarati version many years ago, "Satya Na Prayogo". I have read a few auto biographies and two things which sets this book apart is its, 1) simplicity of language, 2) candid articulation of his personal experiences and the learnings from it. A gem of a read.

The english translation of the book, An Autobiography or The Story of My Experiments With Truth was done my Mahadev Desai.

Manish.

2 comments:

Manish A. Desai said...

Repost from an email I received.

"HI MANISH

I AM HIGHLY IMPRESSED BY YOUR BLOG. THESE DAYS, IN MY EXPERIENCE, YOUNGER GENERATION IS UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF EGO & SELFISHNESS. I AM IMPRESSED THAT YOU VALUE THE HIGH THINKING.

I READ SEVERAL TIMES SATYANA PRAYOGO SINCE I WAS A TEENAGER. TO DATE, ITS MESMERISM IS PREVAILING ON MY LIFE. BETWEEN THE LINES, AUTO BIOGRAPHY SAYS OUR ULTIMATE GOAL OF LIFE SHOULD BE TO REACH OUR SOLE. TO DO THAT, WE MUST LIVE INNER LIFE IN THE COMPANY OF OUR SOLE, LIFE GUIDED BY OUR OWN SOLE. FOR THAT PURPOSE, REINS OF OUR LIFECART (JIVANRATH) SHOULD BE IN THE HANDS OF OUR OWN SOLE, JUST LIKE ARJUNA DID IN GEETA.

I CAN GO ON & ON. BUT MY FEAR IS THAT IT WILL BECOME BORING FOR YOU. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, WE COULD DISCUSS THIS IN DETAIL IN PERSON."

Manish A. Desai said...

Repost from an email I received.

"Hi Manish,

The books inspired & motivated me basically to come to America were:

1. Think & grow Rich by Napolean Hill

2. Positive Mental Attitude : P.M.A. : by Clement Stone & Napolean Hill

Of course, "Bhagvad Gita" itself is a great inspiration to me & I strogly recommend one & all to read at least one sloka everyday & ponder over it. For any & every problem, there is a solution in it. But you have to got to read & understand & more than any thing, at least put into practice, Krishna's sayings. If you want to experience its magical effect, just read "Gita" in the early morning between 3 a.m. to 4.30 a.m. for 7 days & tell me. But you really have to read it to understand , even one chapter, as if you 're digesting what Krishna has to say to "Arjun", who is only symbolic. This is directly for all of us, if we want to be really happy & have peace of mind.

I have difficult time to understand how not "Satya Na Prayogo" must not have made your determination so strong, which you have even now. I'm sure this reading must have if not directly, indrectly made you strong & determined."