Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Richard Bach

Here's are couple of books which have inspired my friends.

Illusions, The Adventures Of A Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The novel tells the story of Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a seagull who is bored with the daily squabbles over food and seized by a passion for flight. He pushes himself, learning everything he can about flying, until finally his unwillingness to conform results in his expulsion from his flock. An outcast, he continues to learn, becoming increasingly pleased with his abilities as he leads an idyllic life.

One day, Jonathan is met by two gulls who take him to a "higher plane of existence" (reminiscent of the beliefs of Chinese, in that there is no heaven but a better world found through perfection of knowledge), where he meets other gulls who love to fly. He discovers that his sheer tenacity and desire to learn make him "a gull in a million". Jonathan befriends the wisest gull in this new place, named Chiang, who takes him beyond his previous learning, teaching him how to move instantaneously to anywhere else in the universe. The secret, Chiang says, is to "begin by knowing that you have already arrived".

Not satisfied with his new life, Jonathan returns to Earth to find others like him, to bring them his learning and to spread his love for flight. His mission is successful, gathering around him others who have been outlawed for not conforming. Ultimately, one of his students, Fletcher Lynd Seagull, becomes a teacher in his own right and Jonathan leaves to continue his learning.

Manish.

4 comments:

Manish A. Desai said...

Repost from an email I received.

"Thanks for sharing, I remember reading Illusions and Johnathan Livingston Seagull back in college. I loved the books, what a wonderful way to look at life! I will check out some of the other books mentioned on the blog.

One of my all time favourite poems is If by Rudyard Kipling. I also love Desiderata by Max Ehrmann.

I used to read a lot more back in highschool and college, few of my favorite books are:

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
To kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

All these were meaningful to me and had great life lessons.

Recently I read Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Its a pretty good book."

Rita said...

Hi Manish

You know, last night caught the movie 'to kill a mockingbird' on some channel - and that reminded of the book. its by Lee Harper...and without any doubt THE MOST DELIGHTFUL book I have ever read!! i am sure you might have at one time or the other come across it / read it..if you havent yet then PLEASE get it NOW..:-) its beutifully written . oh and that reminds me you MUST read this other one.. (though i dont know if it could be called INSPIRATIONAL !!haha ) ..the JD Salinger's masterpeice 'catcher in the rye'..never came across such a brilliantly humorous book which even though written @ decades ago has a contemporary and ever youthful zing to it....other than of course the wodehouse ones.. I had such a huge apppetite for books in school/college/university and even later..but these past few years seems like all i can manage are well...those short-term gratifying but totally forgetfull books (may we call these quickies ??? haha) ..between flights and train journeys ..and titles that all overlap into each other :-(... but this blog of yours are bringing back the lost flavours..hmmmm..i am going to see that i try to read the ones that are recommended by other pals here..
rita

Manish A. Desai said...

Rita,

I have not read the book - "To kill a mockingbird". I will put it on my list. But I have seen the movie. Beautiful movie.

I will also try to catch up with the other books you have suggested.

I was on vaction for 2 weeks and didn't had a chance to update the blog. There is a long list which I need to include here which are suggested by friends/readers.

You absolutely hit it on the mark - I hope the blog rekindle the interest in reading good books and especially along with everyone's help we can keep growing the list of "inspirational books" as well as "great books" which serves as a ready reference when we want o pick up a good book.

Thanks again for your comments. Keep them coming.

Manish.

Manish A. Desai said...

Repost from an email I received.

"(One of the earliest books with a deep insight that i have read)..and a line that will be close to my heart.."Do you want to fly so much that you will forgive the Flock, and learn, and go back to them one day and work to help them know?"
An online version of the classic..http://www.rmutphysics.com/charud/scibook/seagull/Seagull.htm"