Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand


During my college days I had come across Ayn Rand's writings which had a great influence on me. In particular, I loved Atlas Shrugged. The Fountainhead is also a master piece.

Ayn Rand believed that individuals should choose their values and actions solely by reason. According to Rand, the individual "must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life."

Ayn's philosophy, sometimes difficult for me to digest and mostly opposite of what society and religions preach, is very thought provoking.

Here's the link to the book.

1 comment:

Manish A. Desai said...

Comments from an email, I have received directly.

"The Fountainhead - Howard Roark is the undisputed hero and his story drives the novel. Roark never compromises or deviates from his principles. Rand holds him up as everything that man can and should be. Dominique instantly recognizes Roark's greatness, but she does not initially believe that he can survive in a selfless and irrational society."