Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse


Four years ago, this book was strongly recommended to me by one of my good friend. I had read it in one sitting during one of my transatlantic flight. A fabulous book for someone like me who grew up believing that "growing up is experiencing and trancending".

Here's the crux of the book.

Manish.

-----

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Siddhartha is a novel by Hermann Hesse which deals with the spiritual journey of an Indian man called Siddhartha during the time of the Buddha.

"Siddhartha" means "he who has attained his goals" or "every wish fulfilled". The Buddha's name, before his renunciation, was Prince Siddhartha Gautama, later the Buddha. The main character of Siddhartha in the book is not the same person as the Buddha, who in the book goes by the name "Gautama".

Experience is the aggregate of conscious events experienced by a human in life – it connotes participation, learning and perhaps knowledge. Understanding is comprehension and internalization. In Hesse’s novel Siddhartha, experience is shown as the best way to approach understanding of reality and attain enlightenment – Hesse’s crafting of Siddhartha’s journey shows that understanding is attained not through scholastic, mind-dependent methods, nor through immersing oneself in the carnal pleasures of the world and the accompanying pain of samsara; however, it is the totality of these experiences that allow Siddhartha to attain understanding.

Thus, the individual events are meaningless when considered by themselves – Siddhartha’s stay with the samanas and Siddartha’s immersion in the world of love and business do not lead to nirvana, but yet they cannot be considered detractions, for every action and event that is undertaken and happens to Siddhartha helps him to achieve understanding. The sum of these events is thus experience.

3 comments:

Rita said...

hi manish. Your post on this this book,which had been gifted to me by a friend @ 6 years ago...rekindled the joy i had experienced, reading that book ! The simplicity of it's message .. so beautifully told thru gautam..had then sorted out lots of my own complexities at the time...confirming for me that life HAS to be LIVED on every level , thus building up the small small experiences, which then collectively becomes what is known as 'life'...I am going to re-read the book today :-) Oh and I cant belive all four books listed as 'favourites' are part of my list too.. weelll..what can i say @ Ayn Rand...the virtues of Selfishness has always been and will be my " Anthem ":-)..and Alchemist!! welll...one full shelf of my bookcase is devoted to Mr Coelho..but none of his later books did as much for me as The Alchemist! without meeting your 'better half' , i LIKE her if she made you read the alchemist :-) I also was greatly greatly inspired by Richard Bach's 'Illusions'...in fact i was SO in love with it ..i STOLE it from our SGU Library :-) still with me..all tattered, but its message clear in my heart and life :-)..oh can go on..i liked this idea of yours..havent ever blogged though... anyway, bye.rita singh

Manish A. Desai said...

Hi Rita,

Thanks a lot for sharing your comments. I agree with you that although Paolo Coelho has written many books after "alchemist" none has met or exceeded "alchemist". We have full collection of Paolo Coelho and Ayn Rand in our home library.

When I get some time, I will definitely read Illusions, The Adventures Of A Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach. I have read his Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Manish.

Manish A. Desai said...

Repost from an email I received directly.

"I do own that book as well.

Here's couple you might want to read: Biography of Gandhi, Reflections on a mountain lake.

Good going!"