Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Jalalud'din Rumi

My wife is a fan of Rumi's poetry. She introduced me to poems of Rumi. Here's one I have liked the most.


The Meaning of Love

Both light and shadow
are the dance of Love.
Love has no cause;
it is the astrolabe of God’s secrets.
Lover and Loving are inseparable
and timeless.

Although I may try to describe Love
when I experience it I am speechless.
Although I may try to write about Love
I am rendered helpless;
my pen breaks and the paper slips away
at the ineffable place
where Lover, Loving and Loved are one.

Every moment is made glorious
by the light of Love.

------

Jalalud'din Rumi is one of the world’s most revered mystical poets. During his lifetime he produced a prolific range of inspiring and devotional poetry which encapsulates the sufi's experience of union with the divine. These timeless classics have enjoyed a renaissance in recent years, as Rumi has become one of our most popular poets. Although Rumi was a Sufi and a great scholar of the Qu’ran his appeal reaches across religious and social divisions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Rumi too.
just a poem of rumi for you and if your wife like to watch my rumi video on youtoube let me know

“If you have not been a lover
count not your life as lived:
on the day of reckoning,
it will not be counted.”
Rumi
from shara

Manish A. Desai said...

A beautiful poem Shara.

Sure we would like to watch your video on youtube. Please let me know the link.

Manish.